Lean Leadership and Management Development Program
The Lean Leadership and Management Development Program (LLMDP) is a 6 month blended-training (classroom, webinar, and online delivery) series designed to build both fundamental management skills and lean leadership competencies. This program is unique in that it combines the competencies of outstanding lean leaders with elements of the Inch Principle – 21 Inches of Management, providing tools and skills for team leaders, supervisors, value stream managers, and facilitators to enable them to implement and sustain a Lean culture. Being an effective manager is truly a game of winning by inches. Attention to detail allows for slight adjustments, decisions, and actions made on a daily basis, which can have a major impact on the bottom line. This course will be a blend of lean leadership (Developing Lean Leaderships at All Levels) and “traditional” management topics and will run for 6 months – allowing for practical application of lessons learned and coaching in between sessions.
Module #1: Orientation Webinar –
- Program Overview
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Next steps
Module #2: Classroom – Never Let Your Style Get in the Way of Your Success, Leading Different Behavioral Styles & Stealing a Page from Someone Else’s Playbook
The Director, the Promoter, the Supervisor, the Sheriff – if you’re a manager, one of these words probably describes you. It’s your style, your predisposition, the main reason you succeed …and it’s also the main reason you don’t.
Your natural management gifts define your management style – whether you realize it or not. But when you recognize what makes you sing and what sucks the life out of you, you’re better equipped to handle people and situations that run counter to your most instinctive style.
To be successful in the long run, companies need leaders who can survive the trip and more time and effort isn’t the answer. Learning a few unfamiliar techniques and incorporating them into your own approach is a continuous learning process. A process which allows you to borrow successful behavior from the gifted, but stops short of outsourcing your own success.
- Overview of the DiSC Management Assessment tool – What is it, what it measures, and how it works
- Debrief assessment results (what it means and how can I leverage the knowledge
- Gain an understanding of the four primary natural management gifts and styles
- Learn the six ways never to let your style get in the way
- Increase awareness of your own natural gifts and style
- Identify how style preference impacts others
- Adapt your style to be more effective
- Learn how to sidestep the conflict of fighting your own nature by helping you incorporate the successful styles of others into your own nature
Module #3: Managing People – eLearning
To be successful and move ahead in his or her career, a manger must understand how to manage people, including motivating workers and coordinating their activities. This course will explain how the goals, empowerment, measurement system of management can be employed and how organization structures differ. The course will also cover the difficulty of discipline while trying to maintain productivity and momentum.
- Understand your own attitudes toward empowering management
- Explain how a GEM (goals, empowerment, measurement) approach to managing works in practice
- Describe the major organizational structures and the differences between them
- Explain the different factors that motivate workers and how a manager can use them to improve employee performance
- Discuss the challenges of discipline and how a manager should deal with such situations
- Identify the defining characteristics, benefits, and unique challenges of empowered teams
Module #4: Commit to Self-Development & Coach and Develop Others (Developing Lean Leaders at All Levels)
- Commit to Self-Development
- What are you trying to Self-Develop
- How do you work to become a Lean Leader?
- Leadership Self-Development Learning Cycles (PDCA)
- How do Lean Leaders develop and get promoted?
- Deep Expertise through Shu-Ha-Ri Stages
- Do senior executives still need to self-develop
- Important factors for Leaders Success in an Exceptional Company
- Coach and Develop Others
- While self-developing begin to learn how to develop others
- Beginning the Steps of Coaching and Developing Others
- How to Coach and Develop Others at the Gemba
- Using Kata to Coach One Person at a Time
- Three-Part Recipe for What Lean Leaders Must Learn
- How can this Apply to Developing Others in Your Organization?
Module #5: Decide – The One Common Denominator of All Great Leaders
- The Four Discoveries
- Discovery #1: You must have clarity of vision
- Discovery #2: Good decision making requires clarity and confidence
- Discovery #3: You must avoid ten bad decision making habits
- Discovery #4: Not all good decisions are made at the same speed.
- The Process
- Part #1. The Issues List
- Part #2: The Issues Solving Tracks (IDS)
Module #6: Support Daily and Create Vision and Align Goals (Developing Lead Leaders at All Levels)
- Support Daily Kaizen
- Bring Lean Leadership to Work Groups
- Work Groups are at heart of Contiunous Improvement
- Visual Controls and the Andon System Support Improvement
- Creating a teacher who creates a critical mass of Lean Thinkers
- Standard Work to Support Kaizen in Work Groups
- What is Leader Standard Work?
- Tying it all together
- What is the Current State in your organization?
- Create Vision and Align Goals
- Create the Vision and the Capability
- Hishin Kanri to focus energy on aligned learning circles
- Align people horizontally and vertically
- How Hoshin Kanri and Daily Management Work Together
- Philosophy in Hoshin Kanri
- Comparison between MBO and Hoshin Kanri
- With the right philosophy it all comes together
- Final Feedback: Deliberate practice is not fun
Module #7: eLearning – Handling Workplace Conflict
As a manager, you will undoubtedly deal with conflict. And as you look around to figure out who will keep the peace, you might be realizing that person is now you. This course introduces the various forms of conflict that can arise in the workplace and presents strategies that managers can use to help deal with conflict situations. It includes video commentary from an expert in the field and presents some fictitious real-world scenarios that allow learners to practice applying the skills and strategies discussed throughout the course.
- Identify the different types of conflict in the workplace
- Describe some of the major causes of workplace conflict
- Discuss the Thomas-Kilman model of conflict
- Consider your personal conflict style and compare it to other styles
- Identify various conflict behaviors in the workplace
- Explore conflict resolution strategies
- Discuss best practices for handling difficult employees
- Describe what constitutes dangerous conflict and consider methods for handling risky situations
Module #8: Classroom – Change Management and Graduation
- Module Concepts:
- Why Change?
- How Change Affects People
- How Organizational Change Works
- Managing Resistance
- How to Manage Change
- Mentoring, Coaching & Motivating
- Management Tool
- In addition to the above, all participants will complete an Online Lean Six Sigma White Belt course and will have the option of pursuing their Yellow, Green or Black Belts all at reduced rates.
|Lean Leadership and Management Development Program Schedule/Agenda|
|Session Name||Method of Delivery|
|Module #1:Program Orientation Webinar||Webinar|
|Behavioral Styles Assessment||Self Study|
|Module #2:Never Let Your Style Get in the Way of Your Success, Leading Different Behavioral Styles & Stealing a Page from Someone Else’s Playbook||Classroom|
|Module #3: Managing People||eLearning|
|Module #4: Commit to Self Development & Coach and Develop Others (Developing Lean Leaders at All Levels)||Classroom|
|Module #5: Decide: The One Common Denominator of All Great Leaders||Classroom|
|Module #6: Support Daily Kaizen and Create Vision and Align Goals (Developing Lean Leaders at All Levels)||Classroom|
|Module #7: Handling Workplace Conflict||eLearning|
|Module #8:Change Management & Graduation||Classroom|
Targeted Training & Consulting
© 2018 Zoned Strategies. All Rights Reserved